Demonstration that the knowledge contained in a course remains current.
For master’s and certificate students, courses older than 5 years at time of graduation must be revalidated.
For doctoral students, courses older than 7 years at time of qualifying exam must be revalidated.
For example, for master’s and certificate students who take a class Spring 2012, after the spring 2017 semester the course is considered “expired” and must be revalidated.
For example, for a doctoral student who takes a class Spring 2000, and their qualifying exam is after spring 2017 semester the course is considered “expired” and must be revalidated.
- Subsequently passing an examination specifically covering the prior course material;
- Subsequently passing a qualifying examination which includes the course content (no more than 2 courses may revalidated in this manner);
- Subsequently passing a more advanced course in the same area;
- Subsequently teaching a comparable course (include the syllabus 1-2 pages, and a letter from the course instructor). Teaching must occur after enrollment in the graduate program;
- Scholarly publication which demonstrated knowledge of course content (include publication or URL) (up to 2 courses may be revalidated by one publication). Revalidation by Publication example;
- Professional experience may also be used to revalidate courses (student must make the case. Work experience used must be since enrollment in graduate program. Only 1 course can be revalidated by each job position/professional experience). Revalidation by Professional Experience example.
The course instructor or a representative in the graduate program offering the course.
Student initiates the process and the student’s program representative will complete the process and submit.
The revalidation form is located on the IUPUI Graduate Office website, on the Forms page under the “General Forms” accordion.
Master/Certificate Students. The form and attachments will be scanned and emailed to RTS. Doctoral Students. The form and attachments will be scanned and email to the IUPUI Graduate Recorder for UGS programs.
The Request for Revalidation of Coursework eDoc for students at IUPUI is under construction.